Simon Says

Created: 2016-11-22 09:51 Modified: 2016-11-22 09:51

 

I recently found some time to finish up a project I started a long time ago. It's a simple implementation of the "Simon Says" game in Javascript, jQuery, HTML5 and CSS3. The code ended up being pretty simple and it was a fun side project.

I've got a demo of it here.

Source code is on Github.

Tags: javascript, jQuery, html5, css3

Chuck Norris Jokes

Created: 2016-10-03 17:35 Modified: 2016-10-03 17:35

 

I've recently been playing with React.js and Redux as a way of more easily building web content with Javascript. My second project was to play with making async HTTP calls to a rest service. To do that, I used the amazon ICNDB to fetch jokes about Chuck Norris.

I've got a demo of it here.

Source code is on Github.

Tags: javascript, react.js, redux

Calculator w/React.js and Redux

Created: 2016-07-17 09:10 Modified: 2016-07-17 09:10

 

I've recently been playing with React.js and Redux as a way of more easily building web content with Javascript. To learn, I needed a project so I started by writing a basic calculator. Here's the results of my project.

Calc Goes Here

Source code is on Github.

Tags: javascript, react.js, redux

Moved to PWS

Created: 2015-10-20 20:48 Modified: 2015-10-20 20:48

 

I've pushed out a few changes to the site and moved it to run on Pivotal Web Services.

If you're unaware PWS is a hosted version of Cloud Foundry that's run by Pivotal, my employer. It's a great place to run apps of all sizes. Find out more info here.

Tags: site

Site Update

Created: 2012-09-08 15:48 Modified: 2012-09-08 15:45

 

I've pushed out some small updates to the site, plus some larger technical changes.

My first change was to move from web.py to Flask. The main reason for this was to make use of Flask FlatPages to store my posts (rather than a DB). Being that this is a small and simple site, it made my life easier to just store site data in a flat file rather than in a database.

The second change was to migrate off of Google AppEngine. My experiences with AppEngine were OK. Availability was good, response time was OK, except for on initial requests; these could take 10 - 15 seconds while AppEngine would spin up my site. All-in-all, not a big deal for my site though.

My main rationale for switching was to try out AppFog, which seems to support a more standard development and deployment scenario.

As always, hope you are enjoying the site.

Tags: site

New Site

Created: 2011-05-13 19:41 Modified: 2011-05-20 18:14

 

Welcome to the new site!

I think the last time I did a major upgrade on my site was sometime in 2004. That's simply way too long!

As part of the update, I've done a complete redesign, using a nice template from freecsstemplate.org, adding some jQuery and some of my original photography. In addition, I've moved the hosting to Google's AppEngine for *hopefully* improved reliability.

For the long time visitors, I've tried to preserve the link structure of my previous site, automatically redirecting you to the new links.

This site upgrade represents quite a bit of work and I hope it is well enjoyed!

Tags: site